Saturday, March 3, 2012

Is That All There Are?

From OpenClipArt.org - PeterM
Is this how most students react to learning multiplication facts?
How much time is spent at school and home working on learning these facts?
Would many students say that frustration is a synonym of multiplication?

Have you ever thought about the number of possible products when multiplying the numbers 1 through 10? I hadn't until I started designing a multiplication game. I discovered the answer is 42. Not only that, but half of them are either one-digit numbers or multiples of 10. That leaves just over 20 numbers to learn.

Maybe kids could learn faster, and with less frustration, by thinking about and understanding how numbers relate to each other. In other words, by developing number sense.

100 Chart for Multiplication

2 comments:

  1. How does this work exactly? I really need some help for my daughter pls. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jody - I am working out a method to help kids learn multiplication starting with the 42 answers instead of the questions. Send me an e-mail and I will e-mail the info back when I get it done. suedowning1@gmail.com

      Delete